Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Terry had his influences as well, it seems...*

Here's a rather recent discovery. Apparently, Paul Terry had a boy cartoon character in some of his early Aesop's Fables cartoons.
Here in these screenshots from FEARLESS FIDO (1922), we see what I would call a hybrid of Jerry on the Job and Bobby Bumps.

In my opinion, the character looks most like the Bray Studios film version of Jerry on the Job. This is not a frame from an actual film (and excuse the MS Paint corny-ness) but you can judge for yourself.


Aside from that, the character seems to be dressed a la Bobby Bumps, a big favorite of mine. Tell me what you think.


*Sorry to be quiet lately but I've been a tad busy. More tomorrow!

3 comments:

Craig D said...

Hmmm... yeah, I can see that.

That hat and knee-pants combination seems to be a cartoon uniform for the generic "young boy" model.

I'll see if I can come up with some Jerry on the Job / Bobby Bumps frame-grabs for you early next week.

Been busy, eh? I guess that half-price sale was a success!

Tommy José Stathes said...

Yep, though I would have liked to have sold more. I think a couple people still want to buy but I haven't heard back from them.
BTW we owe eachother trade items! :-D

Craig D said...

Oh, I haven't forgotten the trade...

;-D